Thursday 30 March 2017

Art Book Collection

Thursday 30 March 2017
I just feel like sharing some of my (very) small collection of art books that I've gotten throughout the years. It's not exactly an extensive collection or what, just for the sake of keeping my blog alive actually fml.

I’ve been buying artworks and art books since 6-7 years ago. Art books can be pretty expensive and I'm a penniless student, hence, the small collection (sadly). I mostly buy them at nerd conventions like Comic Fiesta and book stores like Kinokuniya. For specific art books and when I'm willing to splurge, I got them online from my favourite premium online store – Tokyo Otaku Mode.

Code Geass: Illustrations Relation




A4 // Hardcover // 143 pages // Full colour
Price: RM40 at Sunway Pyramid (I went to check online and it’s priced at least around USD16 which is around RM70. From the writings, I think mine is the Chinese version, which explains the cheaper price I guess? )
Artist: Taniguchi Goro
Series: Code Geass
Publisher: Kadokawa Shoten
Date released: March 2009
Language: Chinese

The first art book I've ever gotten! I was 16 at that time. Being a huge fan of the Code Geass series, I couldn't be any happier when I stumbled upon this art book.

Chobits Art Book: Your Eyes Only




A4 // Softcover // 128 pages // Full colour
Price: RM3 at Big Bad Wolf Books
Artist(s): CLAMP
Series: Chobits
Publisher: TokyoPop
Date released: December 2007
Language: English

This one is a major steal! I love BBWB sale! It’s priced at USD16~30 on Amazon.

MUTUALITY: CLAMP Works in Code Geass




A4 // Softcover // 107 pages // Full colour
Price: RM110 at Kinokuniya (I think you can now get it for only RM88. That’s RM30 less! /crey ;_;)
Artist(s): CLAMP
Series: Code Geass
Publisher: Kadokawa Shoten
Date released: 2008
Language: Japanese

This is one of my top favourite art books. The illustrations are simply magnificent. Kudos to CLAMP! I had eyed this art book for quite a while before saving up enough to buy it. Worth every penny!

INSIDE BEATLESS




A4 // Softcover // 64 pages // Full colour
Price: USD22.99 (~RM99) on Tokyo Otaku Mode
Artist: Redjuice
Series: BEATLESS
Publisher: Kadokawa Shoten
Date released: 2014
Language: Japanese

My first art book from Redjuice! Huge fan of Redjuice right here. Also my first time buying from Tokyo Otaku Mode – which was tremendous btw – more on that later in this post.

REDBOX




A4 // Hardcover // 192 pages // Full colour
Price: USD35.99 (~RM158) on Tokyo Otaku Mode
Artist: Redjuice
Publisher: Kadokawa Shoten
Date released: 2014
Language: Japanese

Still covered in plastic, I haven't even taken a look inside this one. It's too precious! This is probably the most I had spent on an art book, including the choking international shipping fee of $16. That's around RM200+ in total!

ANALOGHACK




A4 // Softcover // 52 pages // Full colour
Price: USD17.99 (~RM78) on Tokyo Otaku Mode
Artist(s): Redjuice, Asagiri, Masaki Arakawa, Wednesday, Atsuya Uki, Ame Kurasuba, Zain, Dangomushi, Chamooi, toi, Tokiya Sakba, Torako, Yuta Nishio, neco, noraico, mizu, Minasenayu, Yurinko
Series: BEATLESS
Publisher: Unicorn
Date released: 28 December 2014 (Launched at Comic Market 87)
Language: Japanese

Third art book from Redjuice! Well it's not exactly Redjuice's; it's a compilation of art works from various artists.

Chinese Watercolour Art Book




A4 // Softcover // 111 pages // Full colour
Price: RM60 at Comic Fiesta 2015
Language: Chinese

I have no idea who the artist is since I can't read Chinese, lol, but I really liked the water colour illustrations in this.

* * * * *


Apart from the magnificent art books, I’d like to talk about my first experience with Tokyo Otaku Mode. Tokyo Otaku Mode — or TOM for short — is a premium online store that sells authentic products from Japan, mainly that would cater to the otaku, such as anime merchandises, figurines, art books and such.

I stumbled upon this website not long before Redjuice announced that he was releasing a book — INSIDE BEATLESS — which can be ordered through TOM. So I quickly placed my order for the book before it sold out as I've had several bad luck in acquiring his art books previously.

It took a couple of weeks to arrive at my door step. It arrived in a specialized TOM box which I thought was pretty neat. But that’s just the beginning; as I opened the parcel, I was surprised with some freebies — a TOM clear file with a beautiful artwork on it by one of TOM’s artists, which was used to place the invoice and a thank-you note, and also a small TOM pin badge. The book was wrapped neatly in a beautiful red gift-wrapper (my favourite colour!) which I got it for free as a holiday promotion.

Awhile later, I received an email from TOM regarding my first purchase, where I had to provide them with a feedback through the questionnaire given. I eagerly filled up the questionnaire and returned the email, along with a short Instagram video of myself excitedly unboxing my parcel. To my surprise, they replied to me and personally thanking me for my feedback and also my short video.

I was blown away by the amount of effort by the customer service from this company. I’m tremendously satisfied with their premium service that I wouldn’t mind paying a hefty international shipping fee just to buy from them again. They definitely had scored another returning customer! In fact, I went to order a couple more art books (by Redjuice, of course) after that. ;)

* * * * *

Maybe I should add in my doujin collections too?